Remarkably, even the greater Seattle area has unmet demand in the coffee market.
When local entrepreneur Efrem Fesaha realized that the city’s East African community was having a hard time finding unroasted green coffee, a cultural staple, he opened Boon Boona Coffee in the Seattle suburb of Renton.
And when he needed business guidance, he turned to Business Impact Northwest, a local nonprofit that helps people from traditionally underrepresented communities launch their version of the American Dream.
Believe in incredibly accessible business?
Get the Gravity newsletter for FAQs, tools, and camaraderie.
Three members of the Business Impact NW leadership team (Domonique, Greta, and Alyssa, in the photo above) visited Gravity’s office last week to talk about their work and let us know about a few coming events.
The organization’s client entrepreneurs include women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, military veterans, immigrants, refugees, and more.
Business Impact NW provides them with classes, coaching, and capital to get their businesses started and help them grow. Businesses like:
- Connect Lounge, started by immigrant Iulia Bejan.
- Pulse Pro Health, started Trishann Couvillion after an automobile accident prompted her to learn about natural healing methods.
- Seattle Dive Co., founded by Marine Corps veteran Derek Voelker.
And Boon Boona, of course.
If you’re an entrepreneur, or looking to become one, visit Business Impact NW or check out one of their coming events:
- March 7: Food Biz Day. Take part in a daylong event focused on providing insight, education, and networking for food entrepreneurs.
- May 28: Celebrating Dreams. Women business owners and entrepreneurs can connect with more than 100 of their peers.
- May/October: Impact Pitch. Applications open in May for the live pitch event in October. The two grand prize winners get $10,000 each.
If you’ve been thinking about starting a business, or growing the one you have, Business Impact will help you take the next step.
PS. Watch Boon Boona’s traditional East African coffee preparation.