My name is Amanda Olson (formerly Vesey). I was born and raised in Prior Lake, MN, which is a suburb of the Twin Cities. I attended college at the University of Nebraska – Lincoln where I got a BS in Business. I was attending the University of Nebraska – Kearny online to get a Master’s in History, but I set that aside to focus on my career here at Gravity.
One day I was flying home from a Vegas trip and I realized how depressing it was, for me personally, to fly home to corn fields. I asked my boyfriend at the time (now husband) if we could move to Seattle – a dream of both of ours. Exactly a year later, we were here. I also made my college selection based on my favorite band at the time, Bright Eyes, if that gives you any idea how I plan my life.
I’ve had a fair number of people throughout my life deny my potential and abilities, so much so, that I’ve believed them in the past and held myself back. I have learned from these situations and since then, it has been proving those people wrong and exceeding expectations that has really driven me to be the person that I am. Also, my mother, is the best role model and support system a girl could ask for.
Before I worked at Gravity, I installed bank software. The company and my manager made it clear that if you were going to succeed you would need to go the extra mile. You couldn’t ask for help unless you could prove you had done your due diligence (i.e. looked at our knowledge base, read install guides, troubleshooting steps, etc). I take this with me to Gravity and I don’t just give up the first time something doesn’t work or if I don’t know something. I think this and general accountability have lead to my success at Gravity.
- Favorite Food: Mashed potatoes
- Favorite Movie: Fight Club
- Favorite Book: The Great Gatsby or anything by Bukowski
- Hobbies: Does playing Sims count? Other than that, I enjoy hiking, camping, reading, gambling, and traveling the world.
- Favorite Quote: “There are worse things than being alone but it often takes decades to realize this and most often when you do it’s too late and there’s nothing worse than too late” – Bukowski (I like it so much I got it tattooed on me.)
- Favorite Gravity Merchant: Billy Beach Sushi, Farestart, The Hangar Cafe. I could go on, but I’ll just name three. It’s so awesome to be able to have a plethora of local merchants that I can support any day of the week.