I grew up and spent the first few decades of my life in the Phoenix area. It’s an incredibly hot, flat, and dry area with, in my opinion, limited culture and diversity. It was conservative where things were they were because that’s how it has alway been done. “Because I said so” was a standard policy in our schools, politics, and laws. Much of what I am was in contradiction to these ideals and, as a result, I have a problem with authority.
I don’t like being told what to do and I hate tradition. Tradition just seems lazy to me. We do this because we have always done this. I’d rather always ask why and promote an environment where we are never comfortable. I am consistently focused on rocking the boat, creating shake-ups where I can, and ensuring that Gravity never forgets we are here for something beyond the bottom dollar.
With all that said, Phoenix was bland and lacked anything that was going to excite me, so in 2012 I decided to spread my wings and go to the place that was in almost every way its antithesis, Seattle.
Prior to moving to Seattle, I attended Arizona State where I studied English Literature and Film. It was in school that I began working on my first novel. Obsessed with writing and film, my earlier inclinations that I would earn a business or history degree were born in futility.
After bouncing around from job to job, I eventually found myself at Gravity where I work with our Marketing team.
- Favorite Food: Steak, medium-rare. A rib-eye is fine.
- Favorite Movie: The Godfather. However Quentin Tarantino is my favorite director.
- Favorite Book: Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut.
- Favorite Quote: “I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can’t see from the center.” – Kurt Vonnegut
- Favorite Gravity Merchant: Oh wow, I don’t even know. I guess it depends on what I am hungry for at that moment. Sure, we have a lot of great merchants that don’t sell food, but the way to my heart is through my stomach. Also, any movie theater we process for.
- Hobbies: Writing and working with film. My first book is currently available here here.