If you can’t process a payment through your POS system for any reason, you’ll need to complete a voice authorization to accept payment. Here’s how:
1. Call 800-228-1122* to access the automated voice authorization system.
Before calling, please make sure you have:
- Your merchant account number (MID)
- Imprint of Customer credit card**
- Amount of the transaction
- Paper and Pen to record the Authorization Code
* The phone number above is for MasterCard, Visa, Discover Full-Acquiring, and American Express Opt-In authorizations. See below for other cards.
** For key-entered or voice-authorized transactions, make an imprint of the front of the card. The imprint proves the card was present at the point-of-sale and can protect your business from potential chargebacks if the transaction turns out to be fraudulent. The imprint can be made either on the sales receipt generated by the terminal or on a separate manual sales receipt form signed by the customer.
2. Dial-in Information
After calling, you’ll hear a number of recorded options.
- Press 1 for Authorization
Next, respond to the voice prompts by entering the following information, concluding each entry by pressing the # key:
- Your Merchant Account Number
- Cardholder account number
- Expiration date
- Press 1 for a credit sale, or Press 2 for credit return
As of July 1, 2016, First Data Voice Authorization agents will begin to request the 3-digit Card Validation Code found on the back of the card, or 4-digit Card Identification found on the front of an American Express card.
3. Note Approval Code
If the card is approved:
You will receive an approval code. Note the approval code down on the manual sales slip.